Overview of purchasing resale HDB flat
What are the timeline for purchasing a resale HDB unit? What to plan for before doing the purchase?
To purchase a HDB flat, the steps will be as follows:
- Submit and Intent to Buy via HDB Resale Portal
- If you are taking a HDB loan, you need to submit an application for HLE before you are able to purchase a unit (before you can obtain and OTP from seller)
- If you are planning to get a bank loan, do speak to a banker and have a bank’s IPA done up to determine the indicative loan you are eligible for
- Start the viewing process!
- After shortlisting a unit, look out for the indicative by speaking to the mortgage banker or checking SRX’s X-value or HDB’s transaction details to have a feel of what are the past transaction prices
- Negotiate the price!
- Before placing the Option fee (Max $1,000 as per HDB’s guideline), get the Proof of Ownership or purchase it from Inlis to show you who the owner(s) are for issuing the cheque to the right recipient. It is also recommended to do a bankruptcy search on the seller(s) as well. This is to further safe guard you from getting involved with any bankrupt proceeding against the property. Do remember to check Ethnic Quota Restriction before placing for the OTP!
- Base on HDB guideline, the OTP is valid for 21 calendar days to exercise. Upon OTP being granted, if you are taking a loan and/or using CPF, you will need to submit for a valuation request within 24 hours from the OTP date.
- If there is a need for valuer to physically visit the unit, the valuer will usually call within the next 2 to 3 days to arrange for a visit. If the valuer did not call (yay!!), it will means that the value matches your purchase price!! Check the Resale Portal to see the valuation of your unit. Usually ready within 10 working days from the submission of valuation request.
- After the valuation is available, you will have to determine if you would like to exercise the OTP. If you are, take note of these:
1. HLE – you can exercise once valuation is ready
2. Bank Loan – you can only exercise after Letter of Offer (LO) from bank is ready
- On exercising, you will need to pay the seller max $4000 (HDB’s guideline)
- After exercising both buyer and seller will have to submit a resale application to HDB for processing.
- After submitting the resale application, the indicative completion date will be between 8 to 9 weeks
- You will receive a completion date from HDB within 1 to 2 weeks from resale application and after which, HDB will invite you to log in to Resale Portal to do endorsement of documents before you are being granted approval of the sales and purchase
- Wait for completion and key collection!